Monday, October 06, 2008

Fireside

In the mid-nineties, this Sweden band Fireside released a fantastic second album Do Not Tailgate which was picked up by American Recordings and released in 1996, and the band got a spot on the then-popular Lollapalooza Festival and this is really the only album I have listened to from the band. I don't think they received much success after this but this album really is great. They song writing is done well and its a very basic post-hardcore/emo style that a lot of us said we hated but some how still love when we hear something original now or from that time period. It's very straight forward rocked out post-hardcore with very catchy song structure, majority of the lyrics about girls or relationship but singer/songwriter Kristopher vocal patterns make this album more catchy then half the records that where coming out during this time period.

A friend referred this album to me not so long ago because they told me "
It sounds a lot like Quicksand", of course I jumped on it to give a listen and really fell in love with this record. I'm shocked I never listened to this band before this year. I think the rest of their albums are on the lighter side of things but this one seems to be the best record they put out from people I have spoken with about the band. It's just a shame people forget about or have never heard of this band, because I'm one of them and I'm glad I finally got this hear this record. After hearing this record I'm curious to here what the rest of their albums sounds like even if they don't all sound like Do Not Tailgate.


Fireside - "Do Not Tailgate"
(American Recordings/ 1996)
DOWNLOAD

1. Interlace
2. Smokerboy
3. Left rustle
4. Kilotin
5. Shelagh
6. Cement
7. Sucking the dust
8. Circulate
9. Wheeler
10. Black soup
11. Love car
12. In place
13. Not in my palace


2 comments:

The Last Surviving Witness said...

My band played with them in Sweden in 1994 and they were great. Very similar to Quicksand, but evolved away from that somewhat. I think all of their records are good with the exception of "Elite", which I honestly haven't really given a chance. There's a record called "Hello Kids" that gives a good overview of what they did if you're looking for other stuff. I'll never understand why they weren't bigger over here, but Quicksand was also somewhat under-appreciated. Glad to see someone else likes them too.

xroldx said...

I have Elite and their last album Get Shot.

I think Elite is the best thing they have done, it's really a step further in their sound.

Get Shot is more simple, like the record you've put on here.

The band was quite popular in Europe at the time.