Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Handsome

During the mid-to late 90's major labels where sticking their noses in the underground post-hardcore scene or whatever you would like to call it and Epic Records picked up a rare band that was always overlooked during these years was a band called Handsome. I'm not sure how rare this may be but a lot of people I know have never heard of this band and they even released a one major label on Epic Records in 1997. I assumed they got noticed because of their members. Handsome was directed by former Helmet guitarist Peter Mengede and the most notable person and main song writer of the band was ex- Quicksand guitarist Tom Capone. The band also included ex-Cro-Mags and Murphy's Law drummer Peter Hines. With this type of lineup you going to exactly what you think it's going to sound like. A more straight up heavy rock version of Quicksand and Helmet, I guess some people would say this is the more radio friendly band of the two.

Each listen feels like a quiet discovery because everyone song sounds totally different bu
t still sticks to the well polished post-hardcore/rock structure they have came up with. The dual guitars compliment each other perfectly and Pete Hines lays down some of the coolest beats I've heard, of course your going to get a good Far, Quicksand, Into Another, and Helmet vibe to this while you listen to these songs but the album is totally an original 90's hardcore rock album. I've always been a sucker for solid and original song structure in any style of music and these guys have it down to a art form. The smooth tempo changes, ambient guitar textures and incredibly infectious choruses will really catch your attention and they have great darker stop-start riffing that was popular with post-hardcore bands of the time. The chores are very melodic and catchy something Helmet never seemed to have but Quicksand always did. The songs "Dim the Lights","Thrown Away", and "Ride Down" which is my favorite song on the record are all really some of the best 90's rock songs I've ever heard a lot better than half the bands on the radio then.

From what I know they only lasted a few years as a band and broke up after Cappo left the band. I know they did do some tours with Silverchair, Local H, and later with Decedents on Less Than Jake. I can see how this band may have failed or confused a lot of people in the mainstream because with their ex-group members of a ton of famous hardcore/post-hardcore/metal lineup their band doesn't mesh well with anyone band they toured with minus maybe Sileverchair, it sucks they never released a second albums because I'm sure it would have been solid. Epic doesn't press the record anymore from what I know so I posted up their 12 track Terry Date produced and only recorded record.


Handsome - "Self/Titled"
(Epic Records)
DOWNLOAD

1. Needles
2. Ride Down
3. Going to Panic
4. Left of Heaven
5. Thrown Away
6. Dim the lights
7. Lead Bellied
8. My Minds Eye
9. Waiting
10. Quiet Liar
11. Eden Complex
12. Swimming

4 comments:

An Attitude Exhumed said...

Incredible record. I first heard it upon walking into the mall record store (where NOBODY, in the shit town I grew up in, knew about hardcore, let alone post-hardcore) while it was spinning as a new release.

I had no idea who was in the band, I bought it that day, right there, just because it sounded amazing. Much to my amazement, when I opened the packaging and saw the members, I was pleasantly surprised.

To this day, it's a part of my regular rotation and is one of my first draft picks for long distance driving music.

Check out the video for "Needles".

xjustinx said...

Thanks for posting this! I lost it when my old drive crashed, and it seems hard to come by, even on the internet.

Lovedenied said...

thanx for this rare albums,,,i saw the name of the band in a magazine music review for years ago but never heard of their music,,,maybe u can made mirror coz it hard for to download.

peterwhite said...

Yes super great record. But Ray Cappo was never in this band !! Anyway, you can check an interview with vocalist J. Chatelain here :http://loveisbuilding.blogspot.com/