Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Quickand B-side and Rarities

Yup, it looks like it's time again for another Quicksand post. Over the last few years I have came in contact with a few Quicksand promotional singles and scattered demo tracks from the band that I absolutely fell in love with. Though every time I would find bootlegs, demos, rare or whatever you want to call it it was totally unorganized and some of the songs that I assume where actually Quicksand songs where demo or unreleased Rival Schools songs or some of the Moondog recordings, the band that Walter Schreifels did before Quicksand that eventually turned into them. The tracks I had were just a mix of random shit and I wasn't sure what was Quicksand and what wasn't but I finally have a good listing and detail of the tracks.

I would love to take the time and explain what a ground breaking band Quicksand was and/or is but the proof is in the pudding as people say and it still amazes me that this band is still underrated in the main steam music scene. Hell if you listen to some of the early quicksand songs you can tell where Tool came up with some of their ideas, rumor has it Tool always wanted Quicksand to take them on tour but I don't think it ever happened. They have an interesting history before, during, and after the band and everything all these members have put out is solid though I believe Quicksand is the best thing they ever have done. Walter's post-Quicksand band Rival Schools as got back together and from what I've been hearing Tom Cappo has a new indy rock band that's about to record which should be great I'm sure but no music is addicting to me as Quicksand. I have constantly been addicted to this band from the first time I heard the Slip record years ago, which is suck a powerful and original record for it's time their riffs have the best hooks of any rock band that's out there. Ever since then if I can find anything that's rare from the band I'm quick to grab it up.

I finally
came in contact a few days ago with a 22-track rare recording of all the actual Quicksand songs that were not released or were apart of single and solid live recordings, some of these songs I had and a few I have never heard before so I was excited as hell to grab this. I thought I would finally post this thing up because it really had some great songs that were never on the albums. These songs came from demos from slip, manic compression, and a 7 song demo of new tunes they started working on after their breakup and reunite right before the broke up again after a Deftones tour in 1996, with those songs you can tell start to sound and evolve into more of a Rival Schools feel. They are a lot more structured and softer at times but none the less they are just as amazing as any Quicksand album song. I have their first full demo and some live shows I'll upload at a other day but this is the solid collection of unheard and rare songs, the track listing that you download may be a bit off from this list but my ass is to lazy to reorganize it... enjoy




Quicksand - B-sides and Rarities
(No Label)
Download

1. How Soon is Now - "Done Alone" CD single
2. Voice Killer - "Divorce" vinyl promo 7"
3. Shovel - "Thorn In My Side" CD single
4. Chelsea's Going Under- "Hit Me" Island Records CD sampler
5.
Bug Collector - Manic compression out take
6. World's Fastest Car- Manic Compression out take
7. Knee Jerk Reaction- Manic Compression out take
8.
Instrumental - 1998 recording session
9. All In Your Head - 1998 recording session
10. Requiem - 1998 recording session
11. All In The End - 1998 recording session
12. Constant tension - 1998 recording session
13. Hostage Calm - 1998 recording session
14. Weed it Out - 1998 recording session
15. Chelsea's Going Under - 1998 recording session
16. Dine Alone (demo) - Vinyl promo 7" for "Slip"
17. Can Opener (demo) - Vinyl promo 7" fro "Slip"
18. Baphomet (Live with vocals) - Omission CD single
19. Clean Slate (Live in CA) - Omission CD single
20. How Soon Is Now? (Live at CBGB) - CBGGB 20th anniversary CD
21. Clean Slate (Live in GA) - "Freezing Process" CD single
22. Super Genius - True Manic demo version

12 comments:

Thomas Hogan said...

zip is corrupted...any chance you could re-up it? Thanks!

An Attitude Exhumed said...

That shit ain't working, kid.

stillsearching said...

I know I will re-up everything tomorrow night hopefully.

Unknown said...

hey this is holly. i just added you.

Lee Action said...

Fixed the link.. check it for me though, sorry for the delay guys

Monty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monty said...

Does anyone have any of the hardcore acoustic stuff walter did solo?

Anonymous said...

I could kiss you. These are AWESOME!

Lee Action said...

Please Bill no kisses, but thanks for the comment.. ha.
If you had some bigger tits then maybe we could give it a shot.

The Last Surviving Witness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Last Surviving Witness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jbenmoss said...

You totally rock for this. Thanks so much!