Friday, December 12, 2008

Top 10 albums of 2008 & a little more...

Torche: "Meanderthal"

Young Widows: "Old Wounds"

Mouth of the Architect: "Quietly"

Trapped Under Ice: "Stay Cold"

h20: "Nothing To Prove"

The Banner: "Frality"

Cruel Hand: "Praying Eyes"

Clouds: "We Are Above You"

Ceremony: "Nothing Moves You"

Fucked Up: "T
he Chemistry of Common Life"


TOP 5 E.P.'s
1. The First Step- "Connection"
2. Jesu- "Why aren't we perfect?"
3. Alpha & Omega- "Devils Bed"
4. Red Sparrows- "Aphorisms"
5. Lone Wolf- "Hallucinogenic Fate"

Well the last few years I have put out plenty of Top Hardcore albums of the year but this year I thought there were plenty of good non-hardcore releases that where way more solid then what was coming out of the hardcore scene and it blended in with my top releases of the year. It was hard to narrow down everything to ten albums and I'm sure I'll get some shit for not putting up the new Trash Talk, Cursed, Terror, or Trap Them albums up on my list but oh well, they are awesome albums but not my all time favorites. Gojira and Rotten Sounds probably put out the best 2 metal related albums of the year. On the lighter side of things I really fell in love with the new James Hunter album "The Hard Way" and Icelandic's Emilina Torrini album "Me and Armini" where some of the smoothest stuff I've heard in ages. Hell even the new R.E.M album really grabbed my attention and I lost hope in that band a few years back. I've been quite addicted to a lot of instrumental/post-rock & metal/electronic albums and there a ton of great stuff that was released this year but Russian Circles, Arms and Sleepers, and God is Astronaut and the heavy post-metal AZ band North took the cake in that department for me.

I found out this year that there was almost as many amazing E.P's then full lengths albums so I did my best to put together a solid 10 without putting any E.P's into the list minus the T.U.I album. and of course these albums aren't really in any important order, just 10 albums that blew my mind this year. The First Step's final E.P really fucking surprised me and of course Jesu will always when me over. I wish I had the time and the effort to put demo stuff out because there were some really good ones this year.
I guess with all this addition info I should have put out a top 20 of sorts, oh well hopefully 2009 will be even better for music.

No comments: